Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tapping The Wallet For A New Set Of Keys

I haven't posted a great deal in a great while. It has been difficult, to say the least--ha!--to not write so much. Part--no, most of it has been due to the wonderful disabilities I live with. I've also been on a bit of an introspective where God has been speaking and I've been taking notes. I'm not sure where this latest leg of the journey is going, but it's been a healthy trip so far I think. My identity and its impact on others has been a lot of it.

What have I been doing lately? Most of the time, I've been coping with aforesaid disabilities, specifically Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Other than that, I've been blogging on my railroad blog as a hobby. I've been coping as my family transitions to a new family business, helping my children manage the transition and offering as much moral support as one dad in a chair can.

More recently, I've been adjusting to life with a new keyboard. I don't normally buy things so expensive, but this was an absolute necessity. For years, it has hurt to type. Really, I've needed this keyboard since 2003 or so. For a long time, I knew what I needed, but I didn't know who made it, or where to get it. Now that I have it, the knots and spasms in my upper back have had much less to complain about. They still make a fuss, but it's just not made nearly as bad as when I was using the old keyboard.


Winters are hard to endure when you have certain arthritic conditions. It's painful, and most folks don't discuss it because it's something non-arthritics can't relate to. Pain, it seems, makes more people than just the sufferer uncomfortable. What can I do, though? Ignore it? That's hard to do when you don't want to get out of bed or, worse, can't make it to bed from the chair. Still, I've opted not to blog exclusively about pain this winter because it's not all that beneficial for everyone. On the other hand, having a keyboard that helps that pain is a positive worth noticing.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, friends. I hope this keyboard lets me post more often with less pain. That, or I'll want my money back.

4 comments:

Wondering Numbers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve said...

Wondering Numbers, your comment has been moderated. If you are looking for help, please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for some time now and never commented. I see that you have some issues with your health - arthritis, DDD, and fibromyalgia - I see in your profile pic that you are a bit overweight. My father had very similar issues and in the past 5 years has lost over 120 lbs (from 350 to 230) - with exercise and sticking to a VERY organic, no meat diet he is now MUCH better..meaning he still deals with pain - but not as severe and now there are more good days than bad. He said swimming, and not eating red meat really helped. Just wondering if you have tried exercise /diet as a form of treatment. 6 years ago he could never imagine that he could walk long distances and at 64, just recently finished a 5K walk!

Steve said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for your comments and your faithful readership. I appreciate it! Your comments are thought out and I felt you deserved a personal response.

Yes, I am overweight, but I am thankfully no longer gaining weight for the last year. I cut out a lot of things from my diet, most notably High Fructose Corn Syrup (as much as possible--it's everywhere!). Other changes such as using healthy vegetable fats, reasonable portions, and controlled treats all work toward my goals of losing weight. I have some other concerns I need to address before diving back into pool therapy, which has been the only exercise that seems to leave me intact.

I'm very glad for your father's recovery! He has done it the right way, gradually chipping away at it over time with steady progress in cardio-focused activity like walking is perhaps the best possible outcome. Please give him my best hopes for as many good days as possible.

On a side note, I'd also like to convey my appreciation for your respectful, realistic and kind approach. I have had enough "But you look fine, get back to work" remarks, enough "miracle promises" with very little to show for them and enough unkind incidents to last 10 lifetimes. Your thoughtful concern is prized more than you know.

In His Care,

Steve