Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From Training A Child To Training A Young Man

We interrupt our regularly scheduled blogging for a very important letter from a father to his son. 

 Dear Son,

This letter is reaching you in April on your birthday, but I started it in January. Something this big is going to take planning and I need to get all the head start I can. I'll get to that in a moment.

You're 12 today. Yea! A solid dozen years of life is now under your belt, and that's terrific! Things haven't been easy for you all the time. You've stuck to your chores, and as you've gotten bigger and more capable, we've given you new ones. However, it's not just that you've grown more capable. You've grown more responsible as well. You don't shirk from doing the job you've been assigned.

You've learned the physical and demanding game of football, so much so that I respect your abilities and your talents. If you continue to practice, work hard, and stay true to your desire, you could certainly play high school in a few years, and from there, there's only One Who knows how far you can go.

Because of these changes and because you are my son, we're going to be training you in things that men are expected to be able to handle. I will teach you all I know about plumbing, household maintenance, car care, and more. I'll train you in driving. I will help you begin to think defensively and how to guard yourself and your loved ones to protect them as best you can.

I will be giving you scriptures to memorize so that you have His Word hidden in your heart. I know from experience that there will be times in your life where you are glad you committed the Scriptures to memory, times where having a Bible is too impractical but where you can bring up out of the storehouse of your heart the solid, insightful truth as you are led by the Holy Spirit. That is the true use of the Sword of the Spirit.

I will be praying with you, teaching you how to meditate, and how to cultivate an active prayer life. I've already worked with you on hearing the Spirit. My hope is that we can improve on this with time and patience.

We will consider all of this part of your homeschooling, but more importantly, I pray that in the end, you will consider this the most valuable part of your early education. I say early education because, really, you never stop learning. But if you start good, if you have a clean, stable foundation, whatever you place on top of it will be in good shape.

Son, I love you. I know you are getting older and I am racing to fill your mind and heart with what you need when you leave. I pray I give you everything God wants me to give you. If I do, I know I will have done as good a job as I can. In the end, I want to hear "Well done! You are good and faithful. Enter into your Father's happiness." As you grow, you will hunger for that more also.

As we move forward, my goal is not to create another "Steve," but to help you become the best you possible in God's sight. Remember that this may not be the same as the best you in the sight of the world. We need to keep talking about this as we go.

I love you, son. We are different in some ways and the same in others. In all, I find you a wonderful boy and future man. You bring me happiness and thankfulness. You are a blessing of God in my life, and I am thankful for you.

Love,

Dad

1 comment:

Jim said...

Man that is a wonderful birthday gift you have created for your 12 year old son. I know he will keep it and cherish it for the rest of his life.

I am inspired by how well you write and express truth as you know it.

My name is Jim. I'm a 51 year old male who also retired from full time work in 2001 due to illness (neurological damage, nerve damage, fibromyalgia, CFS, chronic pain, and on and on…..caused (they think) by my three rounds with a rattlesnake (the snake won).

My wife (Sunshine) and I have been married over 15 years and we home school our 11 year old daughter (April) and 13 year old son (J.J.) who will turn 14 on April 29, 2011.

We live in Humble, TX (Houston) and have three precious puppies, and share our back yard with a few horses, a goat, and various other wild creatures, such as raccoons and porcupines. (Oh, I forgot to include the rattlesnakes). I don’t want to make them mad.

Anyways, your blog writings always encourage me and lift me up whenever I start feeling like I’m the only hurting person on the plant and begin feeling sorry for myself.

So, please, keep up the good work and keep on writing. I’m sure you touch a lot of other people too.

God bless,

Jim