Sunday, January 4, 2009

How Can You Sleep At Night?

It's 3 a.m. and this hour marks the 24th straight that I've been awake. Many disabled people have sleep disorders. For a select few, that's where it all starts. Whether it's apnea, snoring, insomnia or night terrors, they're unable to get the nominal dose of brainwave patterns we call sleep, and its resulting neurological and psychological impact is enough to keep them from living the life they desire. It is yet another one of those invisible illnesses people don't realize are so very common.

For me, irregular and unpredictable sleep patterns are common to folks with Fibromyalgia. It's just part of the territory, supposedly. It tends to rip me out of people's daily lives. Going for breakfast at 10 p.m. doesn't seem to fit most people's schedules. I've been working with my doctors about getting regular sleep, but sleep doesn't come in a bottle, at least not for long with me. I'll continue to battle for the Z's, though. When I can get regular sleep, it takes the edge off a lot of other symptoms I deal with.

Sleeping normally, or as close to normal as possible, is a vital part of being human. It's one of the big four (Eat Sleep Breathe Poop) that we all do from day one. Stop any one of those and you're going to run into trouble sooner or later. There have been plenty of studies on how sleep relates to health, just like drinking enough water. If you're not sleeping, don't just give up on it. Do everything you can to get the regular sleep patterns you know you need.

Well, isn't this a shock? I fell asleep in the middle of writing this! If you nodded off too, great job!

No comments: