Friday, February 12, 2010

Winter Olympics

Ever since I was a kid watching the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo, I understood the athleticism, stamina and fortitude it took to compete. I was a beginner at skiing, but my brother had already been an "olympic hopeful" contender before damaging his knee. Even watching the alpine downhill with him taught me more about skiing than I could have learned skiing on my own.

Yet, as Kelly Clark says below, you can win every championship and still feel empty. If people love you just because you can fly down the mountain at insane speeds or whip 1080s like they're nothing, you intuitively know that the love is conditional. It will go away when someday you lose the ability to do what you do. That's why a relationship with God looks so good to those who perform for approval.

No comments: