Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sleep Study Yields Interesting Results

I went in for a sleep study last night. I was a first-time, never-ever sleep studier ...student ...person. I had read up on how they wired a person up like a telephone exchange, so I was prepared for that. I was pleasantly surprised that I had access to Discovery channel, so I watched some Deadliest Catch, a small luxury since we unplugged cable at home. What I dreaded was the effort it took for me to fall asleep on demand, and believe me, it's no small effort for me. I couldn't make it. I felt like I was doing the stuck-in-an-airport doze. No matter what I tried, something would bring me out of it. A noise. An itch. A snore.

I snore. This fact is repeated to me often enough for me to realize that this happens every night, possibly every time I fall asleep. So the technician came in and put a second canula--the first was measuring my breathing--in my nose, riding just under a thermal sensor. By this time, with the EEG wires and the canulas and such, I am sure that I looked like an alien out of Star Trek. The technician started some oxygen, and I got back to the work of falling asleep. It wasn't easy, but I finally made it. The next thing I knew, the technician was in the room. It turns out that I was sleeping, but I wasn't breathing, at least not very well. He took off the canulas and sensor and helped me into a nose mask CPAP machine. 

The noise of CPAP is different and distracting. I almost reach sleep when the technician entered again and switches in a new mask. More adjustments, and it's a better fit. I finally fell asleep. It's then that I had one of the longest and vivid dreams of my life! When I woke, I knew where I was, but I didn't move. I almost couldn't move. It felt wonderful! The light outside was pink, so I knew it was almost time for it to be over. I didn't want it to be over! I fought my way back towards sleep and I almost reached it before the technician came in the final time to get me ready to go home. 

Standing there, free of the wires and devices, I realized something new. I was free of any support for my body and I didn't hurt. Nothing hurt! I had experienced it before after good sleeps, but not like this. I felt like a kid! I had no stiffness! I had no pain! For a few minutes, I felt symptom free, and it was wonderful!

I found the effect was temporary, because after my shower, I needed to sit down while getting ready to leave, and my lower back pain was just as potent as before. I found that my other symptoms are there, like fatigue and nerve pain, are there as well, but not as bad today.

I don't know what the report will say, but I know that I need help with my snoring. I want to try out a mouth guard designed to do mechanically what the CPAP does pneumatically.  If I can keep things simple, it may be easier to cope with over the long term. I'm curious if anyone else out there has dealt with CPAP. If you have, comment about it here.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Oh, I'm sorry those results were so fleeting. I was getting all excited as I read how great you were feeling.

I had a sleep study last month, but they didn't discover any significant sleep apnea. I was kind of glad because I wasn't looking forward to wearing a CPAP machine, but then again you can't help but wish something would show up that could actually be FIXED.

The mystery continues . . .