Thursday, November 5, 2009

An Afternoon With My Daughter

I spent this afternoon with my 6 year-old daughter. Instead of my thinking of what I couldn't do with her, we read, watched movies, and hung out. We even played three serious rounds of hangman. She brought out her plastic menagerie, a plastic tote stuffed to the rim with 50 or 60 plastic animals of every exotic origin.

She holds up a wildebeest. “This,” she says with all the certainty of a sunrise, “is a cantalope.”

It doesn’t matter what else is going on in the world that day. We spent the afternoon blissfully unaware of everything but each other’s company. I think God craves that time with me sometimes. Then again, perhaps he’s simply watching me with the interested eye of a bemused parent as I say, with all the certainty of a sunrise, “I have it all under control.”

My daughter Shiloh makes my heart laugh. She makes me very happy with just how she smiles. I could go for days, weeks, months, or even years without seeing the sun shine, but not one day without seeing her smiling face. I’m a very blessed father to have her. There’s no one else in the world that I would want in her place.

No comments: