Sunday, November 29, 2009

Incommunicado In Colorado

I suppose some explanation is in order for why I haven’t been writing nearly as much as I used to. It relates  to my disability. I have arthritis in my spine between my neck and mid-back. The pain is usually located between my shoulder blades and below. For me to have to hunch over a keyboard for more than a few moments brings on spasms that no pain killer or muscle relaxant can touch, at least not without affecting my thinking patterns. In other words, if I want to type, I must either endure extreme pain or wander about the corridors of my mind aimlessly, Neither of which sound very appealing.

I have been dictating, as I am right now, but this is a new challenge because the mental process that I use to speak is noticeably different than the mental process that I use to type. It’s an odd situation, because I use both to produce written words, yet the end product from one process is noticeably different from the other. I don’t speak like I type, and because I type better than I speak, it has been a slow process of retraining my mind.

Additionally, Windows Speech Recognition doesn’t take kindly to partial phrases and afterthoughts. If I use shorter strings of words, speech recognition has less context that it can use to make sense of what I say. Therefore, I have to put together complete sentences a lot of the time. This isn’t how people around me normally speak, least of all someone like me. What’s worse, my sense of concentration drops quite a bit when I’m speaking. I don’t know what it may be called, but my lack of concentration when I'm trying to communicate is frustrating!

Unless I get some sort of adaptive equipment that allows me to type pain-free, I am going to have to continue this retraining of my mind. It feels a bit like learning a second language. Eventually, I will get better… At least I hope so. I’m going to continue to write, regardless, because writing allows me to express myself and speak what’s on my heart. Hopefully, the labor to express myself will get easier. Knows? Maybe this computer will eventually understand what I have to say and how I say it.

The other source of delay is my sporadic network connection. Wireless is so wonderful when you have it! Until I do, I have to blog offline and wait until I can connect to upload. Forgive me, but this may cause some "blog bursts" of two to five entries at once. Still, as always, I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: