Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Prince Without A Mattress

There was this old Carol Burnett song from her very early days. You might recognize it if I repeat the first lines, or the chorus, (I forget). It goes,
I've always been SHYYYYY! I confess that I'm SHYYYYY
You might not recognize it because it's from an adaptation of The Princess and the Pea called Once Upon a Mattress. If Mother Goose did not completely bewilder and confuse our childhood years with Jack-Be-Nimble (pyromania is normal, kids) and Jack-and-Jill (vinegar and brown paper is first aid?!), the fairy tales should finish us off, and The Princess and the Pea is a good dose of nonsense. Its time-tested wisdom admonishes us to marry someone who can feel a pea under 20 mattresses and 20 feather beds.

I've already had my once upon a mattress tonight. Our 8 year old air-bed died--excuse me, "breathed it's last"--and, growing tired of leaks and bogus warranties, I opted for a real, honest mattress from one Denver Mattress Company. I don't know who this "Doctor" is, or how he came by this particular "Choice," but I can guarantee you that their doctor does not have Fibromyalgia or anything even approaching a rheumatic disease.

Fibromyalgia is not that nice when it comes to beds. Most of "us" suffer insomnia of some sort. When we do sleep, we tend to feel pressure points. I don't know how to explain them except to strap you into a loose-fitting body suit that has golf balls taped inside it. You don't really notice them when you move around, but when you lie down, you find that those golf balls are putting pressure on you that makes it impossible to sleep. Liking to keep our golf balls where every good Scotsman does (in the water hazards), we purchased the pillow top version. The salesman said that it would take the longest to break down and be able to feel the springs. I am glad we got the thickest pillow top we could because it lasts four hours, and I needed every minute!

In all fairness, they advised us when we bought the bed to give it three weeks for us to adjust to it. I think that applies to a mild back ache when you wake up. I woke up after nights 1 and 2 feeling like a train wreck! Night 3 never happened and here we are on night 4 after 6 minutes and my body is already freaking out over having it's pressure points pushed. I don't think it's going to take us all 30 days to figure out if we can keep it. My body is aching with a resounding "No!" I sure hope we can work something out ...soon. Until then, I'll put up with the burden of being royalty.

While we're waiting, here's Carol being Carol in "Shy."

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I feel for ya, Steve. You described the golf ball trigger point pain well. This winter has been hard on me and I've discovered that I dream about doctors and relief when my pain is really bad.

I've wondered if a better mattress really would help, but honestly sometimes I'm a skeptic. I'd just like my own jacuzzi. Water therapy seems to help me the most.

Steve said...

Thanks for your comment, Nancy! Water therapy works for me too. In fact, just a simple shower each day does so much for me. Speaking of dreams, I dream about Glenwood Springs' pool. Just being able to soak and float for hours is amazing! There's even a therapy pool at 104 degrees. Hoohaa!

We've found a temporary working solution for the mattress in two extra mattress pads, including memory foam. Still, I'm realizing that minimizing pressure to the trigger points is a critical measure for Fibromyalgia and sleep. My old mattress did that to a greater degree, but this is the best we can do with what we have. God seems to be helping me cope, so we'll keep going until we can fix it in the future.

Also, Nancy, you do owe it to yourself to look at the foam and air bed options. You will be amazed how much better you can sleep! Denver Mattress models "Snowmass" and "Cleopatra" are two very good foam options we looked at.