Thursday, April 1, 2010

Unwanted: A National Standard For Human Beings

As a father of three home-educated children, I take an active interest in homeschooling and educational issues. I've come to understand that each child is a unique gift from God. Because they're unique, any classification for a child, from school grades to performance grades degrades and even removes their characteristics and abilities. While I can appreciate a need for standards and groupings, this is not something I want to subject my children to.

I believe these folks are working towards a legal way to force me to let them test and classify my children, and I don't think that's right. Here is what I told them in their survey:


I do not think it's appropriate to require all students to meet these standards by specific ages. This does a disservice to all but the most average students. What about the fast learners, the ones who quickly understand these concepts and find themselves bored to tears in class because they aren't going as fast as they can learn? What about the slow learners who exceed the special education standards but consistently fall behind when compared with their peers? The standards you set harness the fast and slow learners together. By doing so, it forces them to fit a standard that fails to challenge the fast learner and over-challenges the slow learner. 
Moreover, how do you expect to regulate non-public schooled students? Those who educate at home would reject and virulently resist such standards on the grounds that their right to educate their child is not subject to state review, nor are they in need of standards, as home educated children consistently exceed their public schooled counterparts
Why should I force my children to fit in an egg carton? What if we started grading all people like this? Would you make the grade?

1 comment:

A said...

It's funny how a majority of our Founding Fathers and others implicit in the birthing of our nation were for the most part, self-educated or home-educated.

It's also ironic that the caliber of person back then, especially those running for office as public servant of the people of the United States of America, far exceeded the greater majority of those in office today. It seems that what we are facing isn't something that is going to be remedied by "Romanizing" standards, but rather, is a crisis of culture.