Thursday, September 13, 2007

Busting Writer's Block

I have been dealing with the worst case of writer's block in recent memory. Usually, what helps me bust past it is to write whatever is on my mind. Unfortunately, writing-but-not-publishing isn't doing the trick. If you're really wanting to know what's been on my mind, keep reading.

I don't recognize myself anymore. I don't know if it's the medications for my DDD and FMS, but I'm really starting to wonder how much of the stuff you can take before it really starts to mess with not just with your thoughts but your identity. Then again, I usually go this way when I'm under stress. Yeah, and I'm stressed right now.

This month marks the second anniversary of me being laid off from my job. I guess you could say that it's been a rough couple of years, but amazingly, we're mostly okay. No one has been really sick, at least apart from me and my chronic condition. We still have a roof over our heads, a car that's insured and food in the pantry. It hasn't been easy, but I've learned so very much in a short time. By the way, those reports about government bureaucracy being incredibly inept, even in the computer age...they're true. My wife is incredibly organized--she would disagree--and her determination to document everything is paying off, not for the first time, and we're able to tell the government's left hand what the right hand has been doing. More amazing is that we need to tell the left hand what the left hand did five minutes ago. Oh, the stories I could tell!

My thoughts dwell a lot on my wife lately. She carries a lot. First of all, she's a mom of three homeschooling children. Second, she's a wife, nurse and cook to me. She also helps me with our ministry, our two groups we help lead and manages all the accounts. Perhaps the most frustrating is that I find myself increasingly required to depend on her. She mowed the lawn this week when we couldn't find someone to help out. I hated that. God, how I hated that. Yet I'm powerless to get out there and do it myself because of my condition. I think that's a lot of where my frustration lies. I can't care for the house like I used to. I was the mower, trimmer, painter, maintainer and gardener. I have had to surrender these things and it is excruciating. No, I mean it. That's the right word. Lay me down on a cross, folks. It would be as painful as what this whole thing has done to me. I'm not going to douse myself in self-pity here, but I have to be honest too. I hate the fact that I can't do the things that I was needed to do. I used to be needed and respected for what I did and now I miss it. Perhaps that's the most painful part, at least psychologically, of a disability.

You hear of stories like firemen being closet arsonists (ref: Backdraft). It's an odd paradox, the need to be needed. I'm not going around poking holes in the roof or flicking the lights hoping one will burn out, but seeing needs and not being able to meet them is torturous. Now I in turn need someone else to do what I can't. It begs the question, "What's left for me to do?"

I can be a great father to my children. I can't run a pass play or even walk to the park without some help, but I can be there for them. Maybe that's all they really need. God, I hope so. It's so troubling to know that you can't give your kids what you would like.

I can be a great husband. Yet, I'm not as good as I could possibly be. You'd be surprised how little you can see of someone and yet still be in the same house. I want to get better at this. I want to be near her more, yet we don't have the structure to facilitate that and when she's schooling, I feel quite like the fifth-wheel. I can get involved, and I have been, but I have trouble teaching in tandem. Besides, I know that she does better when I don't chase bunny trails...every other sentence.

I can be a great Steve Walden. What's that look like? I'm not sure. It has something to do with my Maker and His instructions for life. ... Stay tuned.

2 comments:

bubbebobbie said...

Lord Jesus, The plans you have for us at times do not look anything like the plans we have for ourselves. Buy Your Word tells us to commit our plans to You and they will succeed. Success is big to a man Lord. So often it comes in the form of a manicured lawn and a big paycheck in their eyes. But in a wife's eyes it looks more like a toddler being read a story in the arms of his daddy, or the spellbound look in the eyes of our children when daddy manages to take off his thumb! How do I know this is true Lord? Because of all the memories I have of my daddy, taking off his thumb still amazes me. And the fact that my husband can do it tooo... Well Lord, I ask tha you would breathe Your peace into my brother. Turn discouragement to courage and teach him to take his thumb off. Minister to his body that seems to have its own rules and regulations and let joy be the rule of the day. Keep side affects from his meds away from him, keep his mind sharp and his heart close to You. As our Great Physician You are the healer we turn to and thank you for the times we live in whether You choose to use doctors or to touch us we thank you for causing all things to work together for our good. We trust You. Amen

Lisa W said...

I wanted to start off by saying that I get your posts via RSS and I always enjoy and appreciate your writing. You seem like the kind of guy (and by extension, your whole family) that our family would enjoy spending time with.

I read this heartfelt post the other day and it's not left my thoughts. Know that you do add much to your family by your presence and being an honorable father and husband. I am certian that your family cherrishes the time they have with you and I am also certain that they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you deeply desire to be able to do more. Somehow and for some reason that's not part of G-ds plan for your family at this point. He's working great things in you and in your family as you all walk through this. If growing such positive traits in us were easy, they wouldn't be so great.

You've all been in my prayers and in the prayers of our family in recent days. Know that you will continue to be in our prayers.

G-d is good and what He does is good. If we doubt that then we are taking the first step toward athiesm. He is good, all the time. He is good and what He does is good. He will never walk with us through more than we can bear, though we may disagree that either He is with us or about how much we can bear. He is with you because He is with those who seek Him in truth.

You are an encouragment to many others. Thank you for sharing your heart in this entry and for sharing your insight and thoughts in many other entries. :)

May you be abundantly blessed ~
Lisa W (aka FollowingTheAncientPaths)