Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Drivers Education In Colorado: Watch for falling trucks

When I was 15 and 3/4 years old, I got a learner's permit. One of the first highways my dad taught me to drive was I-70 west of Denver. This is a stretch of highway so nerve-rattling, it has it's own web page! Believe me, it deserves it. Imagine a dad telling his nervous driver-in-training, "By the way, keep watching your rear view mirror. If a semi is gaining on you very fast, do what you can to get out of the way."

My response, at least in my mind, was probably, "Yeah, Dad, sure thing. Am I too young to have a will?" Amazingly, I've never seen a truck actually plow into a runaway truck ramp, but I've seen enough trucks in them to know that my dad's words were not pure fiction. My father and my grandfather have been driving these Colorado roads all their lives. Now, I am less than five short years away from conducting my own driver's training for my daughter and eight years for my own son. Yikes! I can't imagine what that will be like. I'd better start praying for patience and peace now.

1 comment:

bubbebobbie said...

Make sure you teach them about Tornado season as well. One picked us up on I-25 on the way to Denver and the only safe part with out ditches or mountain is where it set us down Praise God!
Because of Jesus, Bobbie

www.homeschoolblogger/com/bubbebobbie