Saturday, September 1, 2007

Worth It

Yesterday was a good day. I am exhausted! People say it, but I mean it. I would like to lie down and not get up until oh, say Tuesday. You would be tired too, if you went where I did.

For a few years now, one of my secret prayers has been that I would get to take my son to his first Broncos game. Thanks to a friend's generosity, yesterday was the day. Woo-hoo!

I was careful to keep it a secret until we were within sight of Mile High Stadium*. When I pointed it out to him, he bounced with such excitement, I thought he'd get hurt before we even left the van. My dad tried to drop us off, but since the stadium is new, so are most of the roads in and he had to dump us far from the stadium gates. I made it, pausing every few hundred yards, with Bubba being as patient as ever.

We entered the stadium, one that was christened with a Monday night game on September 10th, 2001, so it seemed oddly fitting that we would be checked for contraband (knives, guns, explosives, anything bearing a Raiders logo) as we came in.

I hadn't yet recovered from crossing the lots when we soon realized that our section was nearly opposite the gate we came in. More walking around the concourse made me feel like collapsing. I just made it to the escalators where I thought I could rest, but the thing was moving too fast and was too sticky for me to lean against the black handrest for a break. I was the only one taking a break between escalator rides. That's pretty pathetic.

We reached the top, and after more resting and a fantastic view of the mountain sunset, we went over to the vendors for some refreshing drinks and dogs. After meeting with the loan agent, it was decided that yes, we could eat and we took our soggy dogs and drinks to our section. More resting. Climb the steps to our row. Gotta rest midway. "No, I'm fine thanks" seems to be all I can get out between breaths. Did I mention we were at Mile High? And we were in the nosebleed seats! I'm not going to say that they were high up, but there was a rumor that the objects circling below us were some eagles hoping for a thermal and a poor soul suffering from hypoxia. On the other hand, I will say that I appreciate the cabin crew of the United jet not opening their landing gear until after they cleared my row. Such little things count in my book.

We watched the Broncos duke it out with (and beat) the Arizona Cardinals for a game that technically didn't mean anything. I say technically, because to my son and me, it meant a whole lot. It was my first time in the new stadium, but it was more special than that. You see, my son and I were able to sit and watch and talk about everything. I told him how glad I was to be there at the game with him and that it couldn't get any better than that. I shared with him my heart in small moments, saying that there's nothing that he could do that would make me more proud of him and that I love him more than I could possibly express. I know we created a memory, one that I hope lasts a lifetime. I'm exhausted, but it couldn't be for a better reason.

Next time though, Lord, could we get first level seats?


* They aren't paying me to call it Invesco Field at Mile High

No comments: