Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A New Favorite Added To My Collection

I know that this is a bit of a break, but I need to post about my latest favorite movie. It isn't Spartacus. It isn't Gladiator. It isn't even Braveheart, although I love that one. No, it's... Wall-E. I can hear the "What?!" from here. Yes, Wall-E. Why would I pick this movie? I guess it's because it's a great film and I can deeply relate to it.

Wall-E is someone who soldiers on in an incredible task, even when the work couldn't possibly be done by him. Perhaps he goes by faith that it will all be worth it, or maybe he just finds pleasure in doing a job. I understand both. He replaces his worn out parts, much like I want to, in order to keep going. He finds comfort in the little idiosyncrasies and odd little interests in life.

Then, the woman of his dreams shows up, and he's smitten. I'm still smitten, even after 16 years. He lets her into his life and he loves her, taking risks for her, even if there's no gain for him, although I've found the opposite. Later, he finds more purpose in her "Directive" than he even finds in his own survival. He values Ev-ah's mission that ultimately gives people a glimpse of what life can be (the plant). Like the captain says, "I don't want to survive. I want to live!" I want people to find life in Christ, and that is worth facing my own demise.

That and flying through space with a fire extinguisher looks pretty cool too.

I may be looking at an ocean when the world sees a pond, but I get a lot out of this kids movie because I'm still a kid in so many ways.

No comments: