Friday, April 20, 2007

Embracing the Superhero Within

There are a lot of shirts out there these days with sayings on them. A lot of them are witty. One of my favorites is on a camoflage shirt that says "You can't see me." Unfortunately, a lot of the shirts are disrespectful or even rude. Because one of our foundational character traits that we try to build in our children is respect, we don't let our children wear anything that demeans them or the people they meet. Still, we do have some shirts with sayings. My youngest daughter has a shirt that boldly labels her a "social butterfly" and it couldn't be more true.

Likewise, my son has a shirt that I picked out for him. It says "I'm like a superhero, just without the super powers." Even though money is tight, I bought it for a reason: I want him to believe it. He's a boy, and boys need to believe in superheroes. In the same way, men might not believe in superheroes, but they need to at least believe in the virtues they represent. I want my son to internalize the good values and character that lies within every true superhero. There will come a time for greatness in my son's life, and because of that, I want him to be ready. How can you be ready for greatness and not believe in those qualities?

No comments: