Monday, August 27, 2007

Know Fission

I have conquered yet another challenge in homeschooling; I have explained fusion to an 8 year old. I know, it sounds a little weird but he started asking me about atoms. By the way, why do these topics come up right at bedtime? Anyway, getting to explain what atoms are, how they function and what needs to happen to produce fusion or fission was something I really enjoy. Let me correct that: I love seeing the "ah-ha!" look cross my children's faces. They realize something new and fascinating! It makes sitting in Mr. Palmer's physics class almost worth it...almost.

Seriously, there's no amount of entertainment that you can put into a classroom presentation that equates out to those times. Your child now understands something and asks intelligent questions about it. Isn't that what homeschooling is about?

1 comment:

bubbebobbie said...

I have a grandson a year older that, who in the past 2 years has informed me that there are things called Neutrinos and explained the String Theory to me in a way that "I" actually understand it!I love Ah-ha moments, even when they are mine. So have you shown your son the new Google "sky"?
Because fo Jesus, Bobbie

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/bubbebobbie/379504/