Sunday, November 25, 2007

Coffee Snobbery

I need to confess something. I am a coffee addict. Worse, I am a coffee snob. I will forget Folgers, ban Yuban and chuck Chock Full o'Nuts. Bags of Eight O'Clock Coffee and Dunkin' Donuts coffee are good if you're needing a paperweight but they are horrible for drinking. Whole bean coffee is sublime and I love the scent of freshly roasted beans still shiny with natural oils. It's a sight that makes me giddy with anticipation.

I am not alone in my love for coffee. My wife is also hooked. Our day cannot start without a 16 oz cup of strong, freshly brewed goodness, followed closely by a second cup. Half and half and natural sugar round out the flavor. It gives me something to warm my hands with and soothe my mouth, which is usually dry from the medications I'm taking. I keep track of what companies are pricing their beans at so I can get the best cup for the lowest cost. As a result, I avoid Starbucks and their Seattle's Best Coffee (purchased by Starbucks in 2003). The exception is a bag of Starbucks' Gold Coast blend or their Caffe Verona. It's the only two I will pick if I have a choice. Otherwise, and this is going to sound weird, I pick up a large bag of Marques de Paiva. I usually pick up their Fair Trade or Rainforest blend. I also use their espresso blend for my espresso machine.

Speaking of espresso, most folks don't know how to do it. The secret to a good espresso drink is as follows:
  1. The Grind - a fine, powdery grind is best
  2. The Tamp - espresso needs to be pressed firmly into the basket filter, using about 40 pounds of pressure, rotationally tamped with a quarter-turn a couple of times
  3. The Temp - preheat the shot glass so that the espresso doesn't lose it's temperature. With espresso, time and temperature is your enemy. For this reason, most baristas steam the milk before or during the brew cycle, never afterward.
For regular joe coffee, a full, non-bitter taste is my favorite. Yet, there is the belief out there that the more expensive a coffee is, the better tasting the brew will be. It's partly correct. I've found that the lighter colored beans, called quakers, are responsible for bitter, sour or simply bad-tasting coffee. Every blend will have them because it's nearly impossible to weed them out, but the fewer quakers, the better the brew. Since no one to my knowledge has developed an automated quaker detector, removing the quakers must be done by hand, increasing the cost of the coffee for how long someone is paid to remove them. On the other hand, the Marques de Paiva blend somehow gets around this cost, delivering a great taste for a lower cost. I'm sure the rest of the coffee industry joins me in wondering how they are doing this.

There's other, local roasts and roasters that are hidden gems. Some of them actually make it to the big retailers too. But, like small guys taking on Starbucks retail, they are the exception not the rule. Never be afraid to plunk down a few bucks on a sample bag of coffee. You never know what you might be missing. If it's awful, throw it out and brew with another blend you trust and try another one next week, because apathy kills your taste buds. It's the one thing standing between you and your becoming a coffee snob.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Coffee Snob. Loved your thoughts on why it's worthwhile to try new coffees. You seem to know your stuff too. I also love Starbucks Gold Coast and Verona. I am also a big fan of Seattle's Best Coffee's 6th Avenue Bistro and Post Alley Blend. This fall, I fell in love with their Autumn Reserve and am right this minute enjoying SBC's holiday tradition, Sleighbell Blend.

You see, I have worked for Starbucks Coffee and now Seattle's Best Coffee for about 13 years. What a great job to have! I love to try new coffees too and sometimes I find little gems in small Cafes that roast their own coffee. I will seek out the brand you mentioned to try.

Many people don't realize that our prices reflect many costs. The most important one is the price we pay Coffee Farmers around the world for their coffee even when it doesn't get processed through the organization that certifies "Fair Trade" coffee. We have paid premium prices for years before it became fashionable because it's the right thing to do.

Go to our website and check out "About Us" where you will find a link to our Corporate and Social Responsibility Report. It's a great read.

Like you, though, I will continue my quest for the great cup of coffee and equally great coffee drinking experiences.

All the best to you-

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

I'm a fan of Starbucks Verona. My favorite of all time though is Cafe Britt Dark Roast. I have found it once or twice at *gasp!* Marshall's... but I usually get my fix when my husband flies to Costa Rica for work. He actually takes down two empty overnight bags and fills them with coffee!

I know he loves me. Because he supports my addiction, er... love of coffee when he can't even stand the smell of the beans or the smell of a freshly brewed cup!

Oh and our pastor and some friends love Cafe Britt's Terrazzo coffee. I believe you can order it online as well.

I'll have to check out the brand you mentioned when I run out of this next stash.