Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks Given

Okay, here I am on the day before Thanksgiving, sitting in a peaceful home. I have much to be thankful for.

Our home, despite our lack of income for two years, is still intact. This is a miracle!

I have my pain medications here and they're working. They didn't cost me a fortune, thanks to Medicaid and God's provision.

My wife and children love me. I had a wonderful, candle-lit moment with my wife last night talking about us (after I had a snit-fit). She's really the great one in our relationship. She has such a servant's heart and she takes care of every need, often stepping to the plate when I can't help. I often write about coping with a disability, but she's the real authority on it. She puts up with all my symptoms and problems. She doesn't accuse me or regret marrying me. She loves me. I am so very thankful for that. I would do anything to keep our hearts together.

My body, while injured, is not dead and is doing much better than those who have totally lost functions. I can still do some part-time work with a few provisions. If I couldn't do anything, it would rob my heart of so much.

I have the support of my parents, who sacrifice time, money and effort to help me stay on top of the house. I couldn't keep my family here without their love and support. Most importantly, it's given in grace, without asking for anything in return--except maybe allowing them to love their grandkids. I treasure every moment I'm around them. Not many people can say that about their parents. When I grow up, I want to be just like them.

We received $200 from a Christian brother or sister who wants to remain anonymous. If nothing else, this gives me hope that we will be able to give our kids some gifts this Christmas. I know that God will reward this person for what they did in secret.

We have the prospect of having valuable work done on our house to help us in our long-term needs. That will go a long way toward our being able to stay here.

I have a friend who understands chronic pain and spinal cord problems because he suffers from it too. People like me need others who can relate to us on our pain and symptoms. The frustration and the depression can get overwhelming and having someone understand your predicament during those times counts for a lot. It's God's providence.

I can pray over my little ones without worrying about their future or present circumstances, because I know God hasn't carried us this far only to drop us now.

I have the sacrificial blood of Jesus Christ in me and working good in everything I encounter. This eternal grace and forgiveness is the most wonderful and profound act in the universe. And it involves me when it didn't have to because He loves me.

And He loves you, too. That's worth a little turkey with gravy, don't you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a great post!