Saturday, December 27, 2008

Angel, Party of 2, Your Table Is Now Available

Hebrews is a curious little book in the Bible. No one knows for sure who wrote it. It obviously was written to those who were raised as Jews, but it does not address one city group like Phillipians or Galatians. Among other things, it focuses on how Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah, functions in light of the law of Moses. At the end of the book, there's a bunch of random topics all jumbled together. In the NIV, they group it under "Concluding Exhortations." The second one (verse 2, imagine that) says, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Whoever the author is, he just blurts it out. He doesn't bother to explain what that means, which leaves the reader to take it at face value or to dust off some commentary, if they have one, to see if this involves kosher food or if a table at Denny's will do.

Entertaining angels without knowing it is a startling thought! How incredible!

Now, I'm not saying we should go out and invite just anyone into our homes or such. I do believe that we should be open to what God can do, including His sending angels to convey special messages or work in special ways toward the good of us and others. It may not always come as we expect. In fact, the verse implies just the opposite; we don't expect angels in our midst. Maybe we should.

Some folks get a little obsessed over angels. They weird me out. They wear angel pins and collect books and videos about angelic appearances. They're into angel-ology, if there is such a term, and go for apochryphal teachings and such. It's almost as if they worship them instead of the One Who made them. Every account of angels in the Bible seems to indicate that angels are extremely careful that all honor and glory is directed at God, not them.

To me, angels are a cool perq that comes with having faith in God. Whenever the situation calls for one, I'm sure God will send one my way. Although, I'm not sure that I want to be in any situation where an angel is the first choice! I would much rather have an angel to dinner than need one to keep my car from rolling off a cliff, like my dad did. Regardless, God's promise to His children is clear:
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone
I know that God will protect me--using angels or any other instrument. I know that His perfect hand will cover me in season and out of season. I don't need to worry about my future. I don't need to have a plan B in case this God-thing doesn't work out. My life over the past 5 years has been one amazing rollercoaster ride that has convinced me once and for all that God exists, that He loves me, and that He can be trusted with everything I can or could control, and everything beyond my power to control. He gets all the glory!

Further stuff (& no fluff):

No comments: