Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Carol

It's hard to believe that Christmas Eve is only a week away. Yikes! Where did the time go?

Last night, I read Tabitha's Travels aloud to my family. Afterward, my beautiful wife, Karen, asked what everyone's favorite Christmas carol was. The Little Drummer Boy was mentioned, as was Breath of Heaven and Emmanuel. Strangely, The 12 Days of Christmas wasn't even mentioned. I said that while I liked Silent Night as a little kid, O Holy Night had the most meaning for me.

It's origins are from early 19th century France. I really like Nat King Cole's version of it (listen free on last.fm). I appreciate the historical irony that the third verse of the carol is explicitly abolitionist. Had that part of the carol not been fulfilled, it's likely Nat's version would never have been recorded.

The strength of the song to me is that we how we all suffer the weight and needfulness of sin and how the birth of Jesus breaks the effects of sin like the sunrise breaks the darkness of night. The supreme contrast of the King of all kings lying in a lowly animal trough, the praise rightly due Him and the beauty of the Nativity all fit into the song. The music is serene and yet powerful. It can fill the largest church or the smallest spaces.

Like all good songs, I have a specific memory tied to this music. One night, my dad and I were driving through Denver, close to Christmas. As the homes decked with lights rolled past, I asked my dad what his favorite carol was. When he told me, we started singing it. Two deep baritones sang a capella in our family Jeep. Forgive the notion, but it was a very sweet experience.

Here are the full lyrics to O Holy Night:

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O holy night, O night divine!
O night, O holy night, O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
O'er the world a star is sweetly gleaming,
Now come the wisemen from out of the Orient land.
The King of kings lay thus lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friends.
He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
Please comment in with your favorite carol, if you'd like.

1 comment:

Hiz Dotter said...

I love this one and it has been near to my heart for some time. I even posted this one last year in my blog. Great minds think alike. HE BE GLORIFIED!! May your new year in HIM be blessed.