Saturday, December 20, 2008

Giving A Shortcut

We live in an amazing technological age! We sit and relax with ever-smaller digital players that reproduce anything that can be heard. We walk through our daily lives with Star Trek-ian communicators that all but beam us up. We drive with hand-sized computers that tell us where to turn right or left.

One of those direction finders like the "give-a-give-a-give-a-Garmin" was on my list to get for my wife. Yes, it's a wow-eee, whiz-bang kind of techy gift that has me written all over it, but my reasons for giving it were pure. Well, not pure, but right-hearted. See, I don't drive as much as I used to because of the different medications I'm on for my disability and I have trouble not acting as a backseat driver. They only put one steering wheel in a car and for some reason, yielding control of it is not something that comes naturally for me. I tend to tell my wife what to do, what lane to be in, and so on. I'm not always diplomatic about it. I thought that having a Garmin in the car would get me to shut up and keep me from arguing with my wife.

All that fell down today. My wife and I were discussing what presents we had money left for. The voice of previous experience began to speak to me, saying that if I was really going to get a "mid-ticket" item like a Garmin, I would have to determine if that really was what she wanted. The only way to do so was to "unveil" early. To my surprise, my wife declined, even when I gave her my back-seat driver explanation. She told me that the world has all sorts of shortcuts to work around building trust and relationship. She didn't want to go that way.

Proverbs 19:14 says,
Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers,
But a prudent wife is from the LORD.
Thank you, God, for such a wise mate as Karen! Slippers and fuzzy socks say much more with much less money. Amazing how she knows where she's going.

2 comments:

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

I think your praise of your wife is the gift of greater value. :)

Robert M. Lindsey said...

Prov. 31:10-31 - "An excellent wife, who can find? Her worth is far above jewels."

I'm thank God every day for my wife. Sounds like you got a great one too.