Friday, July 20, 2007

Celebrate Who?

There are two forms of spirituality in the world. A true and a false version, and often they find themselves at odds about the basic truths in life. Such was the case today when I was running an errand. As I passed the local community church's marquee, I had to do a double-take.
Celebrate Who You Are(recreated for your viewing pleasure)
I couldn't believe it. Now, I'm assuming that the pastor (or whoever put it up) merely wants to encourage people, but I'm convinced it sends the wrong message, which is that human beings are basically good. I guess it's a form of sacred humanism (as opposed to the more popular secular humanism), and it runs contrary to true spirituality.

Jesus was once addressed by a man who addressed him as "Good Teacher." It was a small pleasantry, but Jesus took issue with the salutation because he discerned the man's heart. "Why do you call me good?" Jesus said, "No one is good except God alone." He was essentially repeating the assertion in Psalm 14:1-3, "There is no one righteous, no not one." While God is doing a good work in us, it's important we recognize that apart from Him, we don't have any good thing, including our selves. Indeed, we have all sinned and fallen short of His Glory. We should mourn the loss of our glory, not celebrate who we are. If anything is worth celebrating, it is God and His grace that reclaims us. We should celebrate God working in us and making us a new creation in Christ. That I will celebrate both in this life and the life to come! I am not worthy of His redemption, but I am deeply grateful for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes... that sounds just like, "Come enter covenant with your Creator and make Him Lord of your life."

Unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

AMEN and AMEN... the ONLY thing we are to ever celebrate, worship, or give Glory to is GOD. That is the one and only TRUE GOD.
He is a jealous GOD and we should have no other gods before him and our own image is a god today to many.
Renae