Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Wichita: Death of Compassion in the Land of Oz

We all know Frank Baum's classic Oz series or at least the movie that made the story of Dorothy, a small Kansas farmgirl, an American icon. Were Dorothy and her dear Aunt Em alive today, they would probably find this story abhorrant and amazingly heartless.

I spent some time this weekend in a portion of my state that used to be considered Kansas territory. We were searching among the farms and small towns for a few fishing holes. Coming down one road, we passed a stable with a few cowboys and their friends. One of them waved at me. Having been raised part of my life in the city, it made an impression. It stands in stark relief to the tragic indifference that lies a few hundred miles to the east.

Now, it's safe to say that people in the city don't wave. They probably are just too tired. But to step over a person who is lying on the ground bleeding is unequivocally wrong. Any decent person would help, samaritan or otherwise. Could it actually be five people simply stepped around a young woman dying? I can only wonder what would happen in Denver in the same circumstances.

This is the result of what the late Pope John Paul II called the culture of death. How can we counter such indifference to the suffering of others? The first step would be to seek life. I'm not talking about acquiring more things like those shoppers did. I'm talking about life to the full. This life centers around Jesus Christ. It is dedicated to finding and doing God's will. I haven't laid hold of it. I'm not quite there, but I keep pressing in further. Join me.

No comments: