Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How Soon Is Too Soon?

A lot of parents out there are wondering whether they need to start homeschooling their 4- or 5-year old. Some honestly wonder if starting at 2 years old is too early. It all depends on what you call homeschooling.

In reality, all parents homeschool from birth until they enroll their children. They simply don't think of it as homeschooling. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is Music class for little children, taught to them before they ever enter a schoolroom. Counting fingers and toes is math and even peek-a-boo helps build mental abilities for babies. It never occurs to parents that they've done homeschooling all this time. The question of when to formalize it as their "education" is valid only because that's how the rest of society thinks and has instituted laws along those lines.

Whenever I pick up on this question, I'm reminded of a discussion I had as a kid with a ranch hand. He pointed to a horse off in a separate corral and asked if I saw what was wrong with it. I had remarked that it's back looked low. He said that the horse was swaybacked because it's former owner had saddled it and rode it too young and had permanently disabled the horse. Similarly, when I was 5 years old, I was put in a swimming class. They thought the best way to get me to learn was to throw me in. Obviously, it didn't work and it took me another 4 years before I felt comfortable enough to try it again.

There is such a thing as starting too early, and it could be more destructive than starting too late. Imaging being forced to prepare a speech in 5 minutes on the migratory habits of cranes. It's a similar experience for a child who isn't ready to start. They're unprepared and such stress could be damaging. Try testing the waters by letting them try activity books or just a simple coloring pad. Let them learn songs and play simple games. It's interesting. It's fun. It's homeschooling. Have the grace for your children that they need. Let them grow and learn at their natural pace. You have plenty of time and children learn much better if they do it themselves. Some simply aren't ready, and good homeschooling laws allow for this. Take all the time the law allows if necessary to give your children the good start they need. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a homeschooling father of four, I've found that our children tell us when they are ready for more formal education. I agree that all parents should be more tuned into their children’s academic readiness.

Anonymous said...

Exdellent post Steve! I think I just might have to link to it! :)
Blessings to you and yours,
Nancy