Friday, August 3, 2007

Big Families, Big Love

An update on 17 Homeschoolers: They had their baby, Jennifer Danielle. I wish them hearty congratulations! I believe that no matter how many you have, you love each one as a unique and beautiful creation.

This sentiment runs contrary to the self-destructive impulse of most middle-class families to only have one or two children. I see how large some houses are and I wonder how three or four people can occupy so much space. Yet that seems to be the goal of American society: Big house, small family. The drive to have a higher standard of living is propelling families to dizzying heights, but why? Europe is dying of this syndrome. Must we die too? Families like the Duggars in Arkansas lead me to believe that there's hope. I know several large families and each of them are healthy, loving and strong. They have a terrific emphasis on parenting, teamwork and love. They are not incredibly rich but neither are they poor in any sense of the word. I am enriched every time we have them over. More than ever, the words of Psalm 127 ring true.
Unless the LORD builds the house,
its builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchmen stand guard in vain.

In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to [a] those he loves.

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.

Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Countdown to 18

I agree totally. I am so sick of the culture's emphasis on planning for retirement, and seeing children as a phase to move through as quickly as possible--and having 2 kids is a way to do that...if they can be twins, all the better!

They are so focused on spending their children's inheritance that they miss the reward that Psalm 127 discusses. Next time you see them, congratulate them for me. They are an encouragement.

Anonymous said...

As a father of four, soon to be five, I cringe when someone asks me if I know what "caused that". I'm afraid that our society will realize too late that children ARE a blessing.