Monday, February 18, 2008

Guitar Heroes Crank It Up In the Library

Maybe just in walking by great books the youth of Detroit will somehow get smarter, but I doubt it. In reality, using GH3 and other console games to bring in crowds of teens will only succeed in the goal of filling a room not the goal of filling minds.

In contrast, when I tell my three children who are homeschooled that we are going to the library, they can barely contain their excitement. They can't wait to go and pick up new books. Our children are instilled with a love for reading and learning. Passing on this love is possible in a homeschool, but next to impossible in a class-schooling environment like in a public school.

My children may be "nerds" and "bookworms" when compared to public school students, but if the 90s taught us anything, it's that nerds can and will succeed in life. In fairness, I should add that my children like games like Dance Dance Revolution (and Dance Praise). They just know that there's a time to work and a time to play; a time to read and a time to dance.

1 comment:

Laura Paxton said...

My kids love to go to the library, too...