Thursday, February 7, 2008

I Will Not Vote For McCain

The only man whom I felt was capable of leading this country without stepping in a hole deeper than the Grand Canyon has just quit the 2008 Presidential race. I will not support McCain, nor will I vote for him. I will write in a candidate I decide on later.

I am a Christian. I am a right wing nut job and I wear it proudly because I have reasoned my position out to where I'm confident of it's logic and consistency with my world view. I believe abortion is murder. I am a strict constructionist in interpreting the Constitution. I know that our military is still second to none thanks to Ronald Reagan. I do not support candidates because they say the right things. I support them because they possess a track record of doing the right things. I will break my silence on most political issues with this post and say, unequivocally,

McCain is wrong for the G.O.P. if they want to win the election.

He will not win me over based on his track record. He will not win over enough conservatives to overcome whatever steam the Donkey party manages to muster, even with what looks to be, at this point, a brokered convention. I join James Dobson. I will not vote for McCain.

I wonder if any Republicans are paying attention. Probably not, based on this survey.

From the WCF Courier, here's a good synopsis of why I won't vote for McCain:
Conservatives have a problem with McCain's track record
Latest in an occasional series examining candidates seeking the Republican and Democrat nominations for president and happenings along the campaign trail.

John McCain may become the Republican nominee for president. His chances, at least at this point in the campaign, are as good or better than his chief rivals.

If he does succeed, however, don't expect many who view themselves as true conservatives to be particularly happy.

"I believe I am qualified," McCain repeats on the campaign trail. "I need no on-the-job training."

But the track record the senator from Arizona touts as valuable experience also contains facts conservatives find very unappealing. And in fact, they view McCain as one Republican in Washington, D.C., they can count on to vote with Democrats on issues that matter most to conservatives.

For starters, McCain voted against President Bush's proposed tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. Recent statements added fuel to conservatives' fire: In December, McCain affirmed his votes were not mistakes. He was also one of only two Republicans to vote against permanent repeal of the so-called death tax in 2002.

Other measures McCain promoted and courses of action he pursued also generate animosity among those on the right.

--- The McCain-Feingold bill on campaign finance reform became law, including restrictions on what and how topics can be addressed in the political process during the two months prior to an election. Critics on both ends of the political spectrum view the law as a serious infringement of 1st Amendment rights to free speech.

--- The McCain-Kennedy bill on immigration failed, torpedoed by those who argued the measure offered amnesty to illegal aliens.

--- As a member of the so-called Gang of 14, McCain helped negotiate a compromise on President Bush's judicial nominees. The knock here is McCain sold out his side.

--- McCain was one of six Republicans to vote against a procedural issue related to the Federal Marriage Amendment, which defines marriage as a union of one man and one woman.

--- The McCain-Lieberman bill is pending. Proponents defend it as a method for combating global warming. Critics, however, say the measure represents a massive tax increase on carbon-based fuels, including gasoline, home heating oil and coal. On a related topic, McCain has voted on multiple occasions against drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Conservatives acknowledge McCain's stance backing President Bush and the war on terrorism. Under his "strategy for victory in Iraq," McCain advocates "greater military commitment" and calls for more troops.

"Success is essential to creating peace in the region, and failure would expose the United States to national security threats for generations," McCain says.

But while he takes a hard line on Iraq, McCain goes easier on enemy combatants, according to conservatives. He opposes using military tribunals to prosecute suspected terrorists, for instance, and believes the detention camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba should be shut down.

The ultimate significance of conservatives' displeasure with McCain may lie in which Democrat he faces in the general election. Hillary Clinton will energize her opponents like few others in history and may turn off some in her own party. If Barack Obama or John Edwards get their party's nomination, conservatives may not feel the same urgency to vote --- on either side of the ballot.
I don't believe in McCain, and this "true" conservative will not vote for him in 2008.

4 comments:

bubbebobbie said...

That would be why I voted for Huckabee!
Now if only the rest will follow suit!
Because of Jesus, Bobbie

Danny Vice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Conservatives are beginning to amaze me in their inability to see what's really at stake here.

This election is about more than McCain and his inability to follow conservative principals - and that has been proven true a hundred times.

But how is handing the whole country over to liberals a suitable alternative to McCain?

There is a serious difference between McCain and a pure bread liberal who is bent on destroying ALL conservative values as well as our country with them.

Anti McCain commentators such as Rush Limbaugh have ventured the idea that perhaps we should sit this election out and let the Dems have a term in office, claiming it might pave the way for a future shot at a candidate he and others will like in four years.

Imagine the damage our country will endure if Democrats control all three branches of government for 4 to 8 years.

This would give liberals what they will treat as a clear sign from America that is it ready to move sharply to the left. Not slightly to the left.

My daughters will come of age in the next 4 to 8 years, and I'd rather have 50% of McCains earn than 0% of a destruction bent liberal's ear.

Cherry picking our candidate is exactly what got us INTO this mess, and if conservatives aren’t careful, they may throw the entire country into a liberal spin that can take a decade(s) to pull back out of.

There is no such thing as a quick recovery from 4 years of liberalism unchecked. We may be facing what will take years and years of damage to undo. What’s more, there’s no guarantee that it WILL be undone. Have conservatives completely forgotten Roe v. Wade and other extremely important issues? We need an allie on every core issue we can get.

Questioning McCain was right and highly useful for a time and a season. Many of us wish we had acted sooner to support Romney or Huck....

But staying home on election day allows liberals a pass to capture all THREE branches of Government. Do you want your kids growing up in that kind of environment?

I'm not asking anyone to sacrifice their own belief or convictions, but we have a serious serious problem here, that we can't afford to fall asleep on.

Give it some thought, friends.

Danny Vice

Steve said...

I understand your concerns, Danny. I think I do see what's really at stake. The Republicans stand to lose this election and that would be a pity. It would be just that because the G.O.P. could lose power.

I remember that it took more than four years to overcome the Peanut Farmer's malaise. It will be costly. I just hope McCain doesn't take the nomination. If he does, I won't stay away. I'll cast my vote for someone other than McCain.