Thursday, February 28, 2008

Todd Wilson: A Good Dad, Except When He's Not

I have always appreciated Todd Wilson and his wonderful transparency showing how his imperfections still bless his family when he handles it right. A good example is what he sent out by e-mail this morning. Notice too the difference he draws between loving and liking.

Hey Dad,
We didn’t choose the Familyman motto just because it had a good ring; we chose it because it’s the truth: I’m a pretty good dad---except when I’m not.

Yesterday was one of those NOT days for me.

It started out good. We had a somewhat meaningful family devotion time, the kids got started on their chores, and I jumped onto the computer to take care of some Familyman details. It looked to be a good day of fathering.

As I typed away, I heard a rather heated exchanged between two of my children. I didn’t pay much attention until I heard my wife’s voice, a seemingly disrespectful comment, and then a loudly closed door.

Boom! I was on the move. Actually, if I hadn’t blown it, I think it would have ended with an explanation and some fatherly instruction.

Instead, I pushed open my son’s bedroom door, and my son, who was on the other side of the door, pushed back, thinking I was his upset brother. The combined forces slammed my glasses into my eye causing a fair amount of pain---and at the same time detonating a nuclear warhead, causing a combination of Sergeant Carter and Attila the Hun to appear in my place.

I hollered until my son was in tears. But that didn’t stop me; I yelled, ranted, and lectured up a storm.

If it wasn’t for the broken look in my son’s face, I might still be hollering. But the look in his eyes showed me I had blown it big time and the storm in my heart blew out. “I’m so sorry,” I apologized, “You didn’t deserve that.”

I hugged him tight and asked his forgiveness. And you know what? He forgave me.
“Do you know how much I love you?” I asked, excepting him to say, “No, I don’t.”

But instead he said, “Yes.”

Do you know how much I LIKE you?” I asked, assured that he would say, “Not much.”

“Yes, I know,” he said softly.

We hugged some more, and this morning during family devotions I apologized to the entire family for my lousy ‘dad-ing.’

And once again---life is good. And the truth remains: I’m a pretty good dad---except when I’m not.

So dad, maybe you too had a NOT day yesterday or the day before. Let me encourage you to make it right---today. They need you to, and you’ll be glad you did. After all---

You ‘da dad!

Todd
A lot of dads like me draw comfort from Todd. He's got a good heart, and that's one of the best compliments I give to any dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post - and an important lesson. We must humble ourselves and admit fault/ask forgiveness of our children when warranted. If we do not live our beliefs before them, demanding it of them is pretty pointless.

bubbebobbie said...

When I have not good Grandma days which can look somewhat like not so good dad days; I picture Sully in the Scare room from Monsters Inc. I see how scared Boo was..and that is all it takes. Only a Bubbe can be stopped by a cartoon! Hope you have a happy dad weekend.

because of Jesus, Bobbie