Sunday, October 21, 2007

Change Is Good

It's snowing, the first hard snow the year. It's beautiful to see, especially after the heat of summer. On the other hand, we had so much snow last year that we were dreading it by February. Today, the kids want to go sledding. In a few months, they will probably be complaining about it. This alone makes me realize how geared to change we humans are. We can stand more than a few months of the same weather.

A friend of mine is considering mission aviation in Alaska. He said that both missionaries and natives alike struggle with depression. I'm sure that the weather up there combined with the lack of daytime sunshine plays a big part in this. I can't imagine going for weeks without seeing the sun.

God created us with the need for change, for sunshine and fresh air. When we don't get them, something's wrong and we know it. We may not know what it is we're missing, but we know something isn't right. That's where God comes in. He's the vine dresser, the one who made us and knows our needs. When we turn to him, he knows what we need and how to meet our needs. All we have to do is ask him for his help. He will either change the situation or change us. That's his job.

The snow is still coming down. I'm glad I don't have anywhere to go right now. I think I'll watch the flakes come down. It's a nice change.

No comments: