Thursday, October 25, 2007

Soaring In The Mountains

It’s hard to believe that Christmas is only two months away. With today’s high in the mid 70s, the snow we had a few days ago now seems like a distant memory. Ten years ago from today, we were engulfed in one of the biggest blizzards of my life, one seldom seen even in Colorado. I remember surprising my 8 year-old niece by grabbing her and throwing her through the air into the freshly fallen 4 feet of snow. She loved it! It hurt my back to do it, but she convinced me to do it twice more. Today, doing that would put me out of commission for a few weeks. I can’t wait to get to heaven and have a new body with which to do things like that. I believe there will be snow in heaven. It wouldn’t be perfect without it.

Before my disability, I used to love to ski. My favorite runs were the long, groomed cruisers where any speed was possible, but carving long turns gave you the thrill of controlling your speed just enough to know you were skiing within your limits. I’ve never skied on parabolics (mostly because they’re so new), but I get the feeling I would love them. Skiing gave me the feeling of riding the wind, of flying. It was gravity with all the perks. Schussing down a mountain with all the speed of a bird and the grace of an ice skater was something that made life worth it all.

It’s why people spend so much on lift tickets, skis, poles and other gear. It’s being able to slip out of your world and into one filled with soaring and sweeping turns, amazing speed and the occasional jump when you’re feeling fearless. I may not be able to do it now, but I did it then…and I’ll do it again in heaven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suffer from chemical sensitivities, and can identify some with your disabilities. I am also a former homeschooler, and a military wife. Thanks for your posts...they're encouraging and inspiring.