Saturday, December 8, 2007

Serendipity And Happiness

The forecast is in and it's snow, snow--oh, and look more snow. I guess the weather is truly frightful. I can actually say the fire is delightful too. We have a roaring one right now, right over my shoulder behind me. Christmas music via satellite warmly rolling out of the stereo. This audiophile loves Christmas music, by the way.

And it all happened by accident.

See, I've found that intentionally seeking the perfect thing--anything, like Christmas, a vacation, a job--is the perfect way to ruin it. The best moments are the "Wow, look at us!" moments, the ones we never set out to create. They just happen. I love them, but it's not something I crave. Any time we're craving the perfect...we will be disappointed. We don't have perfection here in this life. My son has a cough, which he gave to his little sister, who is now dealing with a sore throat, cough and fever. My Fibromyalgia is making my nerves tremble so that typing is a challenge and mousing around it hit-or-miss. The kids, even the "sick" ones--they're running now--aren't behaving. It's not perfect, but I can be perfectly happy.

I don't intend to have a perfect Christmas this year, but the best ones are never perfect anyway. May all of us be blessed with an imperfect Christmas full of love, joy and happiness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! It's so true!

There was a guy at work yesterday who was married a month ago. He was in a big hurry...he had forgotten their 1-month anniversery! He rushed into the store after being "caught forgetting" by his wife to buy half-dead roses (the only ones we had left).

I've never been big on the "special days" meaning much...it puts too much pressure on the day and expectations tend to run higher then is realistic. I don't mind making special days special, but I'm not locked into it having to be on "the day".

I once forgot my anniversery.
I once rescheduled Christmas for March. (one of the best we ever had!)

One of my best memories, however, is when my kids interrupted me from folding socks to help build snowmen! We don't have a single picture of us actually building him, because we were too busy making the memory. I was thinking about this as I put together a photo book for the girls...The picture of the snowmen is sooo going in the book, even though no one else really "gets" why that picture (without my girls in it) means so much...It's not the picture itself, it's the memories behind the picture, the "it just happenedness" of the moment that makes the picture so special...

Anyone can see the picture, but in the end it's just a picture...the memories are something only my girls and I can truly share, since the story itself lacks the depth of the love and bonding we had...

...all on a day where my greatest expectation was to get the socks folded LOL!