Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our House Still Stands By Faith

I've been having vivid dreams lately. Most of them are subconscious stuff, the things I mull over in my mind during the day or things that haven't been resolved. However, a week ago, I had a dream that we were weathering a hurricane in Florida. I've never been in one, so I can only wonder how much my dream would stack up against the real thing. We were in this solid, sturdy house that was beautiful on the inside and oddly enough, it had a lot of un-boarded-up glass. That's not the best thing for weathering hurricanes!

The storm let up and we went outside to look around. The house strikingly remained untouched while everything around was devastated. It was cold and flakes of snow were falling down and gathering in spots. I looked up to see the blue sky and then recognized the "eye wall" cloud. We were in the dead-center of the hurricane! I yelled for everyone to get back inside and we barely made it back in before the storm hit again with the same fury. The storm raged, but I had a great deal of trust that the house would hold against the storm.

When I woke up, the thing that stuck out in my mind wasn't the storm's fury. It was the snow in a hurricane in Florida! How could there be snow in a hurricane? It stuck out so much in my mind that I told my wife about it. When we're at a crossroads, God tends to send us dreams that have specific messages, but this one didn't have a readily apparent meaning aside from us weathering our financial storm, which was encouraging enough.

Then today, my wife read a post by a friend about snow and it dovetailed right into the dream, giving us further meaning. Through our circumstances, we are seeing how faith (snow), real honest-to-God faith, is coming through this storm in the most unlikely of environments, one that should melt faith down but is seeing it survive and propagate instead. Our house still stands by faith through the storm.

No comments: