Monday, March 17, 2008

Welcome and About Me

Hi. My name is Steve. I've been blogging for a bit under three years now, but this is my first attempt at blogging exclusively about disability.

I am a Christian, and my faith is very important to me. I believe it's one of the strengths I have and not one of my weaknesses. I guess that's a circular argument. But I do believe in God and I know that He believes in me. I wouldn't be where I am or who I am otherwise.

I am a husband and father of three young children. My wife and children are the loves of my life and I would gladly give anything to keep us together. Likewise, I wouldn't be where I am or who I am without them.

Both of these things shape everything about me and will taint everything I have to say, one way or another. That's my most honest assessment. I can't write about being disabled and single because I couldn't even contemplate that, let alone place myself in that person's shoes. In the same vein, I can't write about things from an atheistic or agnostic position because I can't imagine a reality apart from a divine and omnipotent creator. If you are looking for writing from these two perspectives, you won't find it. Yet I can easily understand how people can and do live with a disability inside that worldview. I simply know that I can't be true to myself and pretend to advocate life without these two fundamental elements in my life.

Next, I plan to tackle what a disability is.

No comments: